• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

too much protein???

Status
Not open for further replies.

GETYAGUN!!11

Bluelighter
IS eating too much protein unhealthy? The daily value is only like 50 or 60 grams (that's like a fucking meal for me)....so what are the negative effects of eating too much protein?

Show me a meal you eat with 50-60g of protein. Most people are WAY off when it comes to figuring out macros in their diet or cals per meal or per day.

You'd have to eat over 300 g a day to see any kind of side effect and really there isn't any unless you aren't drinking enough water. I've eatten up to 600g a day and consistantly try for 300g. I've had full bloodwork and an abdominal catscan and everything is fine after years and years of this.

I get gastric disturbances if I go past 150-200g of protein in one day. Other than that I've never noticed anything.

Show me a meal you eat with 50-60g of protein

I sometimes eat 15-16 ounces of raw steelhead trout (sashimi grade, of course), which has got to be well over 100g's of protein.

There is a place in Santa Monica that sell sashimi grade steelhead trout and ahi tuna, and I buy out their supply every time I go there. I doubt I have any tapeworms...

aanallein said:
Show me a meal you eat with 50-60g of protein.
I eat a pound of ground beef for dinner from time to time and that has roughly ~120g of protein in it.

Some sources say that it is actually excess protein, and not fats, that cause arteriosclerosis and some other diseases. Often-cited is the Wendt study over 30 years, which linked other chronic diseases to too much protein.

Without referring to scientific studies, it would be good to use some commonsense precautions about eating beyond our evolutionary pace. Would it be possible, without industrial farming, to eat huge amounts of meat (or soy, for that matter) during all meals and every day? I'd say for the regular (non-Spartans ;)) it would be good to be moderate.

Another thing is to see how you feel after feeling high-protein stuff. Those who do a lot of physical exertion may find higher protein diets more suitable. Those with slow metabolisms may find things like excess uric acid production due to non-utilized protein.

Whenever I eat protein I make sure to eat a lot of vegetables as well. I never eat protein with starchy vegetables or carbohydrates (rice, bread) because based on the rules of trophology (food combining..which I follow religiously) ..when we mix certain foods together they can cause stomach upset and more flatulence than usual ( i.e. starches + dairy, protein+ acid fruits, etc.) and as a result, food is not digested as properly as it should.

I'm an omnivore and love my meat, but lately I have been weaning myself off from beef and pork and concentrating more on eating chicken and fish and I feel much better and lighter.

negrogesic said:
I sometimes eat 15-16 ounces of raw steelhead trout (sashimi grade, of course), which has got to be well over 100g's of protein.
QUOTE]

That is absolutely delicious. Hmmmm....craving.

it depends on your goals. If you're a 120lb girl who is looking to stay fit, then obviously don't eat a pound of ground beef with a bunch of bread and veggies. If you're a 150lb skinny dude whose trying to pack on muscle and is deadlifting, squatting, and benching regularly then you need to eat a shitload of protein to support growth. Eat a pound of beef then drink a protein shake, then a few hours later eat a chicken breast. Go to sleep, wake up in the middle of the night and eat a chicken breast, wake up in the morning and eat a bunch of eggs and bacon, etc.

rinse, repeat, etc.

^^I have such bad sleeping problems as it is if i wake up during the night i can't go back to bed....How about milk before bed? Slow digesting caesin am i right?

And Gaian, you also seem to not be concerned about saturated fats.....don't they eliminiate muscle?

nope, show me a legitimate study that discusses that. Saturated fats are yummy and good. Your brain eats that shit up (it runs on sugar and fat).

I'm not terribly concerned about 'eating healthy' (which usually in most people's minds constitutes something like eating like a bird with a fondness for vegetables).

I'm concerned about eating to get larger (mostly lean mass obviously, but some fat gain is inevitable when you're growing).

mariacallas said:
That is absolutely delicious. Hmmmm....craving.

Raw steelhead is good stuff, is it not? I feel like a wild animal when eating that much raw fish...

The 50-60 gram RDI is also much too low. This is calculated by the USDA's recommendation of a 60% carb, 20% protein, 20% fat calorie ratio which is a fast ticket to obesity, diabetes and heart disease. Your ratio should be more around 40/30/30.

The average person cannot absorb more than 35 grams at a time, which covers a 2-4 hour period depending on your personal digestion rate.

Overeating of protein is pretty common. Here's how to calculate your protein needs:

Calculate your lean body mass by finding your percent body fat (use waist/wrist ratio, waist neck ratio, or even better, if have access to someone who knows how, caliper) and multiplying that by your body weight. This will give you pounds of fat, then subtract that from your total body weight.

Now multiply that value by .75 if you're inactive, 1.0 if you're slightly active, and 2.0 if you're doing heavy weight lifting 4+ times a week.

I have 140 pounds of lbm and train intensely 5 days a week, so I use 280 grams as my daily goal.

Also, if you're a hard-gainer and you're trying to add mass, disregard all of that. While you're trying to gain weight (don't keep this up more than a month or two) just cram it in. Eat everything in sight.

i dont think that too much protein will be very harmful ,but you will not get any extra benefit from extra proteins as they will mostly be excreted out in urine

Dtergent said:
it would be good to use some commonsense precautions about eating beyond our evolutionary pace.

i concur. in my opinion, healthy protein intake doesn't mean cramming 20 bux worth of supermarket-grade beef every day. fish are jammed with lean protein, nuts have plenty of protein also, and even grains have protein. quinoa with salmon, avocado cashew spread and steamed snow peas anyone? that's herculean amounts of protein right there

MichaelFelder said:
i dont think that too much protein will be very harmful ,but you will not get any extra benefit from extra proteins as they will mostly be excreted out in urine
um no. How could you excrete 60+ grams of protein out your penis? LOL.

Your body will use the protein if you eat it. Either to repair damage or store as fat.

GETYAGUN!!11 said:
^^I have such bad sleeping problems as it is if i wake up during the night i can't go back to bed....How about milk before bed? Slow digesting caesin am i right?

Warm milk before bed is good.As for your sleeping problems, I suggest you:

* try to sleep between the hours of 11pm to 3am, as this is when the liver supposedly regenerates itself and the time period wherein your body gets optimum rest
* don't drink caffeine in the afternoons if you can help it
* clean sheets and pillowcases, a must!
*a dark, and quiet room to allow your mind to rest and relax before sleep

Anyway there are several sleep threads in this forum and if you do a search I'm sure you'll find some useful advice.

I eat 65% fat / 30% protein / 5% carbs...

If you love carbs(I can't tolerate them/bad skin/gain excess fat/etc), you should still keep the protein % at no greater than 30% of total calories...

Funny thing is, I've been following these percentages for ten years, and my cholesteral/lipid profile(I eat tons of eggs/red-meat/fish/protein-amino acid shakes) is much lower than it was ten years ago, and I feel better than ever. Unless you are a distance runner, I'm not sure carbs are necessary...sorry for the tangent...

Status
Not open for further replies.